Asheville, Buncombe crime databases offer access to public records (2024)

Posted inBuncombe, , , Resources, Special Reports

byJon Elliston

Asheville, Buncombe crime databases offer access to public records (1)

Before you go …

If you like what you are reading and believe in independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan journalism like ours—journalism the way it should be—please contributeto keep us going. Reporting like this isn’t free to produce and we cannot do this alone. Thank you!

Two relatively new online databases, from the Asheville Police Department and Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office, offer extensive access to crime reports.Both use a program called Police to Citizen (or P2C) that allows users to look up information on crimes in their neighborhoods and search for alleged and convicted offenders by name.

Buncombe’s P2C has been online for a little more than a year and was recently enhanced to include more thorough information, according to Kim Pruett, Buncombe County’s director of information technology. Asheville’s P2C, implemented in collaboration between Asheville and Buncombe IT staff, was launched in August.

Using an automated system, the databases are stocked with information and reports filed by APD officers andBuncombe deputies in the course of their regular record-keeping duties — so little additional work is required to make the data available online.

“I think it’s fantastic that even a sensitive area like policing has recognized that when a record really is open, automating the distribution of it is a good idea,” said Jonathan Feldman, the city of Asheville’s IT director.

One the one hand, the data shared is public under North Carolina’s open-records law, he said (non-public information, such as the names of minor offenders and certain crime victims, is not shared through P2C).On the other, the costs of manually disseminating those records to interested parties are diminished while enhancing public access.

Navigating the databases can seem complex at first. Here’s a guide to the main options and how to use them. In addition to the features highlighted here, the sites have up-to-date information on missing persons, crime alerts and “most wanted” suspects.

Track daily reports

Both sites offer incident and arrest reports dating back for one year, and allow users to narrow their searches to any date range within that year. The APD’s site also includes reports on motor-vehicle accidents.

To see the most recent reports, click the “Daily Bulletin” tab at the top of any P2C page. That provides access to listings of the day’s incident and arrest reports, along with case numbers that can be used to find more information with the search features described below.

On the APD’s site, there’s also a tab for “Crash Reports” that allows users to search for accident reports, and one for “Arrests” that shows information about the department’s most recent arrestees.

Search by name

Click the “Events Search” tab to search for the name of individuals or businesses that are mentioned in the records. Links to any relevant records will be provided at the bottom of the page.

Search by location

Options for searching for the locations of incidents and arrestsare also found under the “Events Search” tab.

Users can search by address, street, municipality or all of Buncombe County. There’s also a drop-down menu for searching by scores of “law reporting areas,” which are essentially neighborhoods or otherwise defined local areas.

Make a crime map

Once any of these searches is completed, any responsive records will be listed at the bottom of the page. Below them will be a link that says “Map These Events.”

Clicking that link will open a Google map with the locations noted in the records marked by icons. Clicking on the icons will lead to additional information and links to relevant documents.

The map shown here, for example, was generated by searching Buncombe’s P2C for arrest and incident reports filed during the first week of October.


Asheville, Buncombe crime databases offer access to public records (3)

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. You may republish our stories for free, online or in print. Simply copy and paste the article contents from the box below. Note, some images and interactive features may not be included here.

Jon Elliston

Jon Elliston is the lead contributing open government reporter at Carolina Public Press. Contact him at

More by Jon Elliston

1 Comment


    The above is a discussion of the “transparency” in BCSD’s P2C and APD’s version.

    For these two citizen right-to-know resources the reports must be based on professional reporting, not political gamesmanship.

    Van Duncan’s approach is based on political favoritism and corruption. His gang of deputies in many cases won’t even respond to a property owner’s anxious report of a felonious B&E and larceny. Thus, a call to the sheriff’s office reporting a home ransacked and its copper plumbing gutted by burglars goes unanswered. So why should the citizenry have any trust in it? P2C is a great idea if you have honest law enforcement, but we don’t have that in Buncombe County. Face it. What you have is a public prancer, a social media sheriff operating a gang, and lingering medfordism running the sheriff’s department.

    Just the sheriff’s use of his gang to menace citizens in the courthouse is enough to condemn him. His courtroom officers run court observers out of the courtrooms and violate the open courts guarantees of the North Carolina and U. S. Constitutions. He has deputies follow and shadow critics in the courthouse. A book could be written about his public depravity. It should be.


Asheville, Buncombe crime databases offer access to public records (2024)


How do I get a copy of a police report in Asheville, NC? ›

Get a copy of a police report

Contact the APD Records Unit at (828) 259-5870.

What services are offered by the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office? ›

The Civil Process Division at the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office serve documents such as summons, writs of possession, foreclosures, executions, claim and deliveries, subpoenas, restraining orders, child custody orders, show cause orders and child support warrants.

How do I find out who owns a property in Asheville, NC? ›

Real estate and property records are available through the Buncombe County Register of Deeds. Property tax information is available through the Buncombe County Tax Office. Sewer system records are available through the Metropolitan Sewerage District of Buncombe County.

How do I change my name in Buncombe County Courthouse? ›

Name Change Approval Process
  • You must post notice at the courthouse of your intent to change your name for at least 10 days.
  • Prove that you have a good and sufficient reason for the name change.
  • Have at least two residents of the county who know you file an affidavit giving proof of your good character.

Are police reports public in North Carolina? ›

North Carolina Public Records Law, which is found in Chapter 132 of the North Carolina General Statutes, presumes that all public records are open to inspection by any person unless they fall under specific exemptions outlined in the law.

How do I look up a police report in NC? ›

To request records regarding criminal and civil cases, police reports and traffic citations, contact the North Carolina Judicial Branch or the Clerk of Court in the county where the citation was issued.

Who can remove a sheriff from office in NC? ›

Any sheriff or police officer shall be removed from office by the judge of the superior court, resident in or holding the courts of the district where said officer is resident upon charges made in writing, and hearing thereunder, for the following causes: (1) For willful or habitual neglect or refusal to perform the ...

How much does a deputy sheriff make in Buncombe County NC? ›

Average Buncombe County Government Deputy Sheriff hourly pay in North Carolina is approximately $25.27, which meets the national average.

How much is a sheriff service fee in NC? ›

If you elect to have service of process delivered by the Dare County Sherriff's Department, a $30 fee per Defendant/Respondent must be remitted.

How to find out who owns a property in NC for free? ›

Go to the website for your county.
  1. At most county websites you can search by the parcel location or street address.
  2. Once you find the parcel of land, select it. You should find information about that parcel, including who owns it.

Where is the best place to find out who owns a property? ›

Contact the county tax assessor's office

That means they should have the name and contact information you need. You can find every county tax assessor's website through the California State Board of Equalization website.

Where can I get a copy of my property survey in NC? ›

You can request a surveying record from your local building department. Alternatively, you can request a certified copy from your land recorder's office. Some owners choose to share land surveys with tax attorneys and authorities.

How many times can you legally change your name in NC? ›

The LGBT Center of Raleigh also provides sample forms and instructions. Please note: Under North Carolina law, an individual is only allowed to change their name once, with the exception of a return to a former name.

Can you get married at the courthouse in Asheville, NC? ›

Once you obtain a marriage license, civil marriage ceremonies can be performed by a civil magistrate on the 2nd floor of the Buncombe County Courthouse on Fridays from 8:30p. m. - 2:30p. m.

How many times can you change your last name in NC? ›

Please note: Under North Carolina law, you are only allowed to change your name once, with the exception of resuming your former name. After your notice has been posted for ten days, you will file your Petition and your two (2) Affidavits of Good Character in the Civil Clerk's office.

How do I email the Asheville police Department? ›

You can call the Office of the Chief at (828) 259-5813 or email

How long is the term of a Buncombe County sheriff? ›

Meet the Sheriff

Miller was elected to a four-year term as Sheriff of Buncombe County in 2018 and sworn into office on December 3 of that year.

How do I get a copy of a police report in CT? ›

Reports and Records - ct

Requests for Connecticut State Police reports may be submitted in person at 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT. Please be aware, requests are limited to 2 per person per day. Hours: Tuesday – Thursday, 9:00am – 2:00pm. Fee: Payment in the amount of $16.00 per incident requested.

How do I get a copy of a police report from St Tammany Parish? ›

Most reports can be obtained online, but keep in mind that police reports can take a week or more to become available. Our advice is that you start checking online, starting the day after the wreck and even call the agency to make sure you have the correct police item/report number.


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Ouida Strosin DO

Last Updated:

Views: 6277

Rating: 4.6 / 5 (76 voted)

Reviews: 91% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Ouida Strosin DO

Birthday: 1995-04-27

Address: Suite 927 930 Kilback Radial, Candidaville, TN 87795

Phone: +8561498978366

Job: Legacy Manufacturing Specialist

Hobby: Singing, Mountain biking, Water sports, Water sports, Taxidermy, Polo, Pet

Introduction: My name is Ouida Strosin DO, I am a precious, combative, spotless, modern, spotless, beautiful, precious person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.